If you have to speculate if someone loves you and wants to be with you, chances are they don’t. It’s not that complicated.~ Donna Lynn Hope
Although the end of a relationship can be very upsetting, sometimes it just can’t be helped. If people have different goals, or perhaps just aren’t clicking like they used to, it might be time to call time on it. Many people stay in a relationship that isn’t working anymore as they are afraid of change, but this is only hurtful to both you and your partner. Is your relationship coming to an end?
Sure, relationships require lots of hard work. However, when the bad times outweigh the good times, this is a sign that it’s time to call it a day. Too many people cling on to a bad relationship when they really need to say goodbye, and at times it can get silly.
If you’re breaking up fairly often and then getting back together, then there’s obviously an underlying problem that just isn’t being addressed. Remember, there’s a huge difference between experiencing a few problems and having constant arguments/disagreements.
You should also know that just because you have feelings for somebody, doesn’t mean you should stay with them if the relationship isn’t working. Feelings make it even harder to let go, but you must give yourselves a chance to be happy with somebody who’s right for you. It can be scary if you don’t know how to deal with heartbreak, but most people go through it at one time or another. Here are some signs that it’s time to let go:
- They’ve changed as a person. You may have changed too. Are you clinging to memories of who they used to be with you?
- You’re always breaking up, even over the silliest things. Doing this over and over again and expecting it to work eventually is just plain silly. There’s no need to drag out the inevitable.
- You’re not spending as much time together as you used to.
- You don’t trust each other. You accuse each other of all kinds of downright dirty activity.
- You don’t confide in one another like you used to or ask for advice. It may feel as if you don’t know what’s going on in their lives at all.
- You feel unhappy a lot of the time.
- One of you has cheated.
- Your friends don’t like your partner and tell you it’s time to call it a day. People from the outside looking in can often see if something is just a blip and worth fighting for or if it’s time to let go, as they don’t have the feelings involved.
- Disagreements can go on for days. You often ignore one another for a long time.
The fact that you’re reading this post wondering whether it’s coming to an end isn’t a great sign in itself. If you’ve been together a long time or are married, it may be worth having couple’s counselling. This will help you to see if you can work through your problems and learn how to communicate effectively. However, it may simply be time to accept that your relationship is over.
Once you’ve let go and had time away from them, you might just realise that this is the right answer. Old habits can die hard, but you should do everything you can to stop history repeating itself if this is a ‘toxic’ relationship.
Now it’s time for your say?
When it comes to relationships there is no shortage of advice. Some will be helpful, some not so much. We would love to hear about the best tips you were given, and the ones that you tried that did not work out so well. So feel free to share your breakup and makeup stories, especially the romantic, and funny ones.
As always, your interaction with our posts creates a reservoir of wisdom for all our readers to benefit from so please share your thoughts, stories and questions in the comments box below and remember to tweet, like and +1 ~ Thanks
“It’s Over” How To Survive A Relationship Breakup.
Breaking Up Blues: A Guide to Survival and Growth
Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay: A Step by Step Guide to Help You Decide Whether to Stay in or Get Out of Your Relationship